• Cortisone injection can provide effective, short term relieve for joint pains. However, the exact duration of relieve is inconclusive.
• Cortisone injection is relatively easy and harmless to administer.
• Cortisone doesn’t address the root cause of the problem so the problem may deteriorate and relapse in the future.
• Cortisone injection has been shown to accelerate cartilage damage, causing accelerated degeneration at the segment. Therefore, it is not recommended for younger patients with health joints.
• Tendon weakening and rupture is a common side effect from cortisone injection.
• Regular cortisone injections is NOT beneficial for long-term pain relief.
In summary, cortisone is a useful anti-inflammatory for pain relief in the SHORT TERM. However, it is not without detrimental side effects. So, where does that leave us on the usage of cortisone injection?
Cortisone injection is NOT A FIX for musculoskeletal pain. It should only be considered after a trial of chiropractic care consisting of rehabilitation and manual therapy. The CORRECT usage of cortisone is to reduce the pain and inflammation to allow the patients to continue working with their chiropractor to correct the root cause of their problem.
Spearwood Chiropractic utilises a unique combination of chiropractic and soft tissue therapy to deliver fast, effective and long lasting results for joints and muscular issues for all ages.
Our chiropractor, Dr Jackson Yee has a vast range of experience in managing muscular and joints disorders. With a particular passion for sports, Jackson has served as sport trainer at Jandakot Jets Football Club, Southern Lions Rugby Union Football Club, Fremantle Croatia Football Club and Lynwood United Football Club. Some services we offer are manipulative therapy, soft tissue therapy (dry needling/ acupuncture, deep tissue massage, trigger point therapy), exercise therapy, nutritional advice, biomechanical and ergonomic education, kinesiotaping and bulk billed x-ray referrals (if required).
Some common conditions our chiropractor treats are low back pain, neck pain, headache, sporting injuries, postural issues, nerve entrapment, sciatica, jaw pain, shoulder pain, wrist pain, elbow pain, hip pain, knee pain, ankle pain and foot pain.
Private health insurance rebates are available at Spearwood Chiropractic. The amount of coverage varies so please refer to your insurer for your level of rebate.
Located at 12/83 Mell Road, Spearwood Chiropractic also services the surrounding suburbs of Coogee, Fremantle, Hamilton Hill, Beeliar, Success, Hammond Park, Aubin Grove, Bibra Lake, South Lake, Cockburn Central, Munster and Yangebup. To book an appointment, call us now on 0481342837 or enquire further on www.spearwoodchiropractic.com.au
Mohamadi, Amin, Jimmy J Chan, Femke M. A. P. Claessen, David Ring, and Neal Chen. "Corticosteroid Injections Give Small and Transient Pain Relief in Rotator Cuff Tendinosis: A Meta-analysis." Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 2017.