Factors that frequently increase the chance of developing plantar fasciitis are:
1. Training error. Faulty technique, high impact training surface and inadequate arch support in footwear can lead to development of pain.
2. Structural problems such as flat feet, high arches, leg length inequality, heel spurs and tightness in lower leg muscles. Faulty structures cause faulty movement, which cause extra wear and tear. 3. Weight gain such as obesity and pregnancy places extra pressure of the leg thus increasing the risk of having heel pain.
4. Over usage of the feet. People with occupation that require prolonged standing and walking are at higher risk of developing heel pain.
People with plantar fasciitis may experience:
• Sharp, stabbing pain at the inside part of the bottom of the heel.
• Morning stiffness and pain, with the first few steps after getting out of bed being the worst.
• Pain after long walking, standing or exercise
• Mild swelling at the bottom of foot.
Chiropractic treatments have been well documented to manage plantar fasciitis in a drug-free and effective manner. The initial phase of treatment would focus on pain management by restoring proper biomechanical function of the surrounding joints and musculature to reduce inflammation at the involved segment. Treatments would usually involve joint manipulation/mobilisation soft tissue therapy (dry needling/acupuncture, graston technique), home stretches, night splint and taping. Once the symptoms subside, the patient would then be gradually exposed to an exercise program aimed at strengthening the region and restoring proper function.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above, please do not hesitate to come in for an examination at Spearwood Chiropractic. Call us on 0481342837 to make an appointment.
Spearwood Chiropractic utilises a unique combination of chiropractic and soft tissue therapy to deliver fast, effective and long lasting results for joints and muscular issues for all ages.
Our chiropractor, Dr Jackson Yee has a vast range of experience in managing muscular and joints disorders. With a particular passion for sports, Jackson has served as sport trainer at Jandakot Jets Football Club, Southern Lions Rugby Union Football Club, Fremantle Croatia Football Club and Lynwood United Football Club. Some services we offer are manipulative therapy, soft tissue therapy (dry needling/ acupuncture, deep tissue massage, trigger point therapy), exercise therapy, nutritional advice, biomechanical and ergonomic education, kinesiotaping and bulk billed x-ray referrals (if required).
Some common conditions our chiropractor treats are low back pain, neck pain, headache, sporting injuries, postural issues, nerve entrapment, sciatica, jaw pain, shoulder pain, wrist pain, elbow pain, hip pain, knee pain, ankle pain and foot pain.
Private health insurance rebates are available at Spearwood Chiropractic. The amount of coverage varies so please refer to your insurer for your level of rebate.
Located at 26 Sphinx Way Bibra Lake, Spearwood Chiropractic also services the surrounding suburbs of Coogee, Fremantle, Hamilton Hill, Beeliar, Success, Hammond Park, Aubin Grove, Bibra Lake, South Lake, Cockburn Central, Munster and Yangebup. To book an appointment, call us now on 0481342837 or enquire further on www.spearwoodchiropractic.com.au